Want some cute dinner buns to go along with your St.Patrick's Day meal? These were a big hit at my house and I bet they will be at your house too!
You will need to prepare the dough using my "Easiest Homemade Buns From Scratch" recipe.
You can find that recipe by clicking HERE!
I cut my recipe in half and it made 14 good sized buns.
When the dough has risen and you have kneaded it four times and let it sit for ten minutes - you are ready to shape them into shamrocks.
1. On a well floured surface, roll dough with a rolling pin into approximately, a 10x12 rectangle.
2. Cut long strips, 1/2-3/4" wide.
3. Roll each individual strip on your floured surface so dough is rounded (this reminded me of my play dough days), and extended in length to be approximately 18 inches. This stage of the shamrock is in the bottom of the picture above.
4. Take the rounded strip and make a loop leaving about 2 1/2 inches for your shamrock stem. (Pictured at the top of the above picture)
5. Make another loop. (Pictured above left).
6. Finish up your shamrock by looping the remaining dough and tucking the end in the back (pictured above right). Just to note - my first few looked scary, but I got the hang of it.
7. Cover and let rise for about an hour.
8. Make bun glaze: 1 egg and 1 T. milk stir well.
Use pastry brush to apply glaze.
9. Cook in 375 degree pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
So cute and so yummy and not too complicated. Why don't you give it a try?